May 21, 2010

Artifacts

I have a confession to make: I'm a scrapbooker. Now, let me immediately offer the disclaimer that I'm not into all the frilly stuff, and I don't go to craft stores and spend hours freaking out about photo corners. Rather, for the last four or so years I've kept every ticket stub, program, lobby card, museum guide or other documentation that I did something and compiled it in a bare-bones book (no goofy stickers). Sentimental or a hoarder? You decide. But I figure there must be someone else out there who thinks this stuff is cool, and is looking forward to rediscovering their ticket stub for Borat in 40 years. So without further ado, I present a sampling of favorite artifacts and memories from my collection (click any image to enlarge).

Spider-Man 3. A midnight showing with all my buddies, where we took several goofy pictures of ourselves doing a web-slinging pose in the theater. My then-boyfriend joined us, which was notable because due to his seething hatred of one of my friends that I had dated for a few days over a year before, this boyfriend would never hang out with my friends at all. He said something like, "I'm only here for Venom." (Also, the aforementioned friend is now my boyfriend of 2+ years. The ex was so irrational about it that he created a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

The Savages. Someone puked on the door at this screening - full report here.






The Dark Knight. Midnight screening with buddies again. My boyfriend was seeing it back home in Oregon, so I called him and kept bragging about how I got to see it earlier because of the time difference. There were various Jokers wandering around, and I think one stray Spider-Man? I remember it being the premiere of the trailer for Watchmen, which was very exciting, and then of course the film was great. What wasn't so great? That it was the middle of July and in a huge auditorium filled with 650 sweaty nerds, the AC broke!



A Christmas Story. Growing up in a Jewish household, Christmas meant nothing to me but "that stupid day I can't be a part of." So I missed out on most of the key Christmas classics, a situation I sought to rectify when my boyfriend took me to a screening of this at the Laurelhurst theater, a Portland institution that serves up alcohol, food, and second-run and classic films. And yes, that ticket does say "mmm beer."

Watchmen. Another midnight screening, but this time we drove all the way out to Jordan's to see it in IMAX! I'm referring to Jordan's Furniture, a strange New England institution that boasts (in addition to furniture and a theater) a Fuddrucker's and a whole room where everything was made out of jellybeans. We had Fuddrucker's for dinner prior, causing the men of our group to be slowed down considerably in their attempts to digest 2/3-lb burgers.


Monsters Vs. Aliens. My first 3-D movie! (Unless you count Muppet Vision 3D.)








The Hurt Locker. After seeing this my boyfriend and I snuck into Bruno, making it one of our stranger double features.






Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg!. I saw this with my mom when we visited New York to look at apartments, making it probably the first movie I had ever seen there. My mom is completely and utterly disinterested in movies, but I took a gamble on her liking this charming documentary about Jewish radio and sitcom pioneer Gertrude Berg, and it paid off. (If you have a Jewish mother, watch this with her right now.)


Inglourious Baster(ds). The best cropped title of all time. I am still not over this.











A Clockwork Orange. My first time seeing the film, and on the big screen with a bunch of NYC film nerds to boot!








Five Graves to Cairo. My first trip to Brooklyn, and I can think of no worthier cause than seeing a not-on-DVD Billy Wilder movie.











The Yes Men Fix the World. When my dad visited me in New York, I took another gamble on a film-ignorant parent. Despite his confession that he hadn't seen a non-mainstream film in at least 30 years, he was somehow game to go to the Film Forum and check out what the Yes Men were up to. Again, it paid off - the social commentary was easier to swallow because the film had a great sense of humor that my dad could totally get with. Unfortunately, however, he texted the entire time.


A very aesthetically pleasing preview of the Film Forum's coming attractions.



















The stunning lobby card for Broken Embraces.













I couldn't resist! The image of the fish is from the program of a local theatrical production where fish feature prominently into the plot.















A great lobby card for the theatrical re-release of Kurosawa's Ran.











Pamphlet for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.












I'm taking a trip home soon, and I have reason to believe that Volume 1 of my scrapbook memoirs resides at my mom's house. If so, stay tuned for a second installment!

No comments: